Thursday, April 26, 2012

I currently use Geforce 6600GT AGP. It is possible for me to use a card that requires AGP x4 or x8 slot?

I currently use Geforce 6600GT AGP. It is possible for me to use a video card that requires AGP x4 or x8 slot? Like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131136 ?|||...you can use whatever card is compatible with your card slot. If the slot on the motherboard is AGP 8x, then you can use AGP 8x cards, if it's PCIe 2.0, then you can use PCIe 2.0 cards.



So to answer your question, yes.



Now I have a couple questions for you... Why would you spend the money to upgrade when the card you're looking at isn't even much of an upgrade at all?! Going from a 6600GT to that is like learning to ride a bike with one of the training wheels slightly higher than the other one, not a jump at all. And with the different architecture of the cards, it's not even worth the effort.



Another question: why would you trash a perfectly good nVidia card to go with a slightly better ATI card? You'll be much happier if you just stick with nVidia cards. I'm a bit of an nVidia fan, but I've used nVidia and ATI, and the nVidia cards always outperform ATI... ALWAYS.



Last question: Why would you spend $50 to "upgrade" when you could spend a couple more bucks and do a total system overhaul? Usually if you're trying to increase performance, changing the video card isn't going to do much -or anything- at all. If the rest of your computer can't keep up with the video card, then you're actually just shooting yourself in the foot.



I'm not trying to change your mind about anything, but these are things you have to think of when you're trying upgrade. In my opinion, I'd just stick with what you have until you have the money to do a system overhaul and get one badass machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment