Thursday, April 26, 2012

Installing dual video cards on a motherboard without integrated onboard graphics?

OK, I have 2 NVIDIA GeForce FX video cards I would like the run on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard. It has no onboard graphics. One graphic card is an Apollo Graphics AGP 8x FX5200 with 128MB ram. The other is a PNY PCI FX5500 with also 128MB ram. I have the drivers for both video cards (Same forceware driver) Now here is my dillema. Will the cards produce an image on the monitor when I first turn the computer on? Before I can install the drivers, I need to configure BIOS, install an operating system, and set up the OS. So, will the cards run w/o drivers for those 2 (maybe less) hours?|||The BIOS and operating system should default to using the AGP card with a generic driver, then you can install drivers and set up the system to use two displays.|||Doing so is pretty much useless because the computer has to have one main primary monitor, and will not allocate both an AGP and a PCI graphics card. Usually if you power on, the computer will automatically choose AGP, which stands for Accelerated Graphics Port, and is faster then PCI, but slowe than PCI-Express, my advice to you is to buy a new motherboard, but other than that, you're pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place.|||Yes, In my experience of building computers most of the time graphics cards will give you a basic output without a driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment