Thursday, April 26, 2012

¿Is it possible for a GeForce 6600 AGP 256 MB to 'kill' its video signal output due to lack of power?

Three months ago I purchased a GeForce 6600 AGP.

Everything worked just fine until yesterday:

1) When I turned on my PC no image was displayed,

but you could hear the initialization beep and

the HD loading Windows.

2) I put the card in another PC and did the same thing.

3) Put the other PC's card in mine and worked fine.

So I realised that the problem was on the card's video

signal.

4) I went to my local vendor and he replaced the faulty card

with a new one, which works fine.



My power supply provides 450W, and I wonder if it's enough to feed the card's power requirements. Remember that this card needs an extra molex from the power supply and comes with a molex splitter to achieve that.

I already used the 4 available molexes for HDs and DVD drives, and added the splitter to connect the card (shared with the DVD drives).

Since I don't have electronic knowledge nor much money, I want to know if I need to replace my power supply for a more powerful one.Thanx in advance|||From what you said, it sounds like the card might be bad. You said that you put it in another PC and it behaved the same as it did in yours.



If you want to rule out the power problem, disconnect the power to everything except your video card. If you get video when it posts, you'll know.|||If your PSU is one of them known brands, like OCZ, Tagan, Fortron, Antec etc. a total of 450W is plenty of juice.

The NV6600GT is not a too power-hungry card.

I believe that heat was reason for that damage since many NVidias have real bad heatsinks fitted.

Why don't you get one of them copper Flower Zalman heatsinks and just forget about problems like that?

t4ke c4re

No comments:

Post a Comment