Thursday, April 26, 2012

I had two GeForce FX 5500 / 256MB DDR / Video Cards on my PC. A PCI and an AGP. The AGP died. What happened?

I wasn't overclocked, fans were clean. Using Win Xp, P4@1.8g on socket 478 ECS MB, a generic soundblaster from Walmart as were the 2 vid cards. Linksys wireless nic. I just get vertcal lines from the AGP at boot. I cannot get into Windows with the AGP onboard using PCI as default display. a hot spot developes on the AGP card when I try this. I don't have another machine to test the card on in case it is the MB causing the problem. I did have a different monitor on the AGP as I have no web access at home and go to a friends house every month or so to update. When I got home 6/8/2006 the AGP would not work. No extreme vibration during trip, no moisture, inspection revealed no loose cards or cables. I never updated bios or drivers. Forceware 7700 I think. I swapped cards in and out between just the 2 listed, changed bios settings for the cards, nothing worked. It would be nice to get the card working but am more concerned with what happened as I plan to use dual monitors again.|||It sounds like your video card must have died. It's most likely time to get a better video card, so check newegg.com for a newer agp video card, as they have a great selection of cards with lots of different price ranges.|||you could read your mother boards help book at first|||The only thing coming to mind on this one, is that the OS picked one of the two as a primary, and kicked out all the drivers for the other one. Try it in a different machine, if you have another one to use, this will save on tech time, and fees at a shop.|||Get a new motherboard, they are under $50 for that socket.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis…

No comments:

Post a Comment